1. Home

David Beaulieu

Using Borax to Kill Creeping Charlie

By August 4, 2004

As this story points out, "Twenty Mule Team Borax" is a commercial name for sodium tetraborate, a mineral salt containing boron. Borax has been used in landscaping to kill creeping charlie, a vigorous lawn weed. Get the recipe here.

Comments

July 31, 2008 at 9:21 am
(1) William Frost says:

You claim “Get the recipe here,” but where is the recipe?

July 31, 2008 at 12:35 pm
(2) landscaping says:

When the writer of a blog post says to get something “here,” that’s an invitation to click on the link provided in the body of the blog post. If you click on the link I provide in the body of my blog post, you’ll be taken to an article that someone wrote on using Borax to kill creeping charlie. Within that article, the author mentions a “recipe” used for eradicating creeping charlie.

April 17, 2009 at 8:22 am
(3) Joe Lauritson says:

The following paragraph appeared in your article concerning borax and creeping charlie.

“They compared various rates of dry and liquid borax with Super Trimec (2,4 D + dicamba + dichlorprop) and Sharpshooter (saturated fatty acids of potassium salts). All borax treatments and Super Trimec provided greater than 90% ground ivy control the spring following application in 1991, when soil moisture was good. In 1992, a dryer year, only liquid borax and Super Trimec controlled 85% of the ground ivy the spring following application. They also found that cooler weather may reduce effectiveness. So if liquid borax and Super Trimec provide comparable results, which would a homeowner want to choose? As you would expect, “it depends.” ”

I am a little confused about the wording and I want to get this straight in my head if you can help me – you state that, “All borax treatments and Super Trimec provided greater than 90% ground ivy control the spring following application in 1991″ which is good news, then you say, “In 1992, a dryer year, only liquid borax and Super Trimec controlled 85% of the ground ivy the spring following application.” – ‘only liquid borax and Super Trimec, isn’t that the only products you used in the previous sentence? ONLY LIQUID BORAX AND SUPER TRIMEC seem to indicate that there were more chemicals used in the previous sentence, why do you use the word ‘only’?

Please help me.

April 17, 2009 at 11:54 am
(4) landscaping says:

Joe,

Sorry, but that’s not my article. I merely linked to Iowa State University’s article on using borax to kill creeping charlie. For detailed explanation of the wording, you would have to contact them. My own article on creeping charlie mentions borax only in passing.

May 30, 2009 at 7:53 pm
(5) Jules says:

Here is the recipe from the ISU site. 10 oz. Borax dissolved in 4 oz. warm water, then dilute in 2.5 gallons of water. Hope this helps!

October 23, 2009 at 9:44 am
(6) jeanne mcdaniel says:

My invasion of creeping charlie is in my flower bed of mostly perenials. My question is will the Borax formula kill everything it is applied to?

November 14, 2009 at 3:24 pm
(7) landscaping says:

Jeanne,

I would not use Borax to kill creeping charlie in a flower bed. Even the Iowa State U. article to which I link says, “The best way to control ground ivy in flower and vegetable gardens is by hand pulling and hoeing.”

April 19, 2010 at 8:43 pm
(8) Gary says:

Everybody wants to know where to get the recipe.Just click on where it says kill creeping charly(in blue) and scrowl down.Its there,im going to try it.

April 26, 2010 at 1:00 pm
(9) Adele says:

how much is 10 oz of borox? I don’t have a scale that measures mass.

May 16, 2011 at 6:36 pm
(10) Jason says:

10/16 of 1 pound

April 6, 2012 at 2:31 pm
(11) Chuck says:

i used 1 cup of borax to 2 gallons of water. it seems to work well. killed about 90%. i am just wondering if anyone knows how long til i can seed the area? thanks for any info