1. Home

David Beaulieu

What to Do About Standing Water on Lawns

By May 13, 2007

"I've noticed areas in the lawn with standing water after a big rain," writes this week's featured poster in the Landscaping Forum. It's a common question, especially in the spring: what to do about standing water on lawns. Find out what our experts had to say on the matter.

Related resources:

Comments

April 9, 2006 at 1:45 pm
(1) Frank says:

I wish we had that problem down here….It hasn’t rained here in South Florida for tooooo long….it’s doom n gloom……awesome and highly informational site….my advice on the drainage issue is as follows….since you want to keep it simple …..just use sand or top soil to build up those areas…small amounts will even out areas and grass will grow over….leveling it out

my humble non professional advice : )

March 3, 2010 at 1:18 pm
(2) L Kellum says:

I live on a hill, water rushes down, but now neighbor built raised concrete beds on ea. side of his back yard. Water sits on both sides of our fence. My dog has a pathway which has turned into slippery mud/clay & it’s awful looking. I got pebble rock, but question which side of the fence to put it on. I have a french drain next to my house already, although it’s 10 yrs. old.

May 21, 2011 at 6:39 pm
(3) Donna Gruel says:

I live in a small village that has a huge hill behind my property that and the property of nine other property owners on my street. There has been water runoff problems with the hill forever buy it is worst now due to a developer who has chaneled his water down the hill. I have been to many board meetings with no help instead they ok it by not following the contract made by the village. Many land owners have tilied there yards and I have also tiled mine plus put i a dry well. My neibor to my south don’t want any water into his yard and calls the water all my water. He is trying to stop 18 acres of water by puting up a baracade under his fence to back up all the water. This will flood my home .

March 18, 2010 at 5:57 pm
(4) alycia says:

Hello, this information is great. I am still a little confused about where to put the drain. If the slope is coming down the yard into our house should we dig the trinch along the side of the yard down to to the street drain? This is where the puddling accurs is why I am asking?

March 18, 2010 at 6:24 pm
(5) landscaping says:

Alycia,

You want to catch the water before it gets to the house, then channel it away from the house. If your town allows you to channel it into the street drain, then, yes, that would be fine.

June 19, 2012 at 3:39 pm
(6) Karen says:

I live on 3 1/2 acres in Western Oregon. The fields have drainage tiles in them from the property behind us. They have not been maintained in many years and each year our fields are under an increasing amount of water. We have heavy clay soil and we are and having been digging more and more ditches is there a better way to handle this?

June 25, 2012 at 7:30 pm
(7) landscaping says:

Karen,

I’d have to be there to say for sure if this option would work for you, but you might want to look into installing a French drain.