1. Home

David Beaulieu

Top Plants in My Landscape for April

By April 22, 2013

I still have some holdovers from my March Landscaping Report performing quite well in my April landscape. picture of forsythiasFor example, while I had some daffodils bloom early enough to make it into my March report, they've really come into their own in April. My star magnolia buds had barely started cracking open in March when I mentioned them, so this month's shout-out for them is really more appropriate. Another holdover worth mentioning is Lenten rose, although this plant could be said to "cheat" by sporting long-lasting sepals as its primary source of color, rather than flowers, per se.

But enough about my holdovers. It's a brand-new month with a brand-new set of stars. Let me list them for your perusal:

How about you? Vote in my poll and let us know what plants are shining most brightly in your own yard right now. Or to mention a specific plant I didn't include in the poll, vote "Other" and leave a comment telling us about the plant you wish to nominate.

Comments

April 22, 2013 at 4:05 pm
(1) Charlie says:

I wish I could use these beautiful plants here. Unfortunately the climate in southern Louisiana is way too hot and humid.

April 22, 2013 at 4:37 pm
(2) landscaping says:

On the plus side, Charlie, you can probably display tropical flowers outside for far more days during the course of the year than can I.

April 22, 2013 at 11:57 pm
(3) Shannon says:

I’d vote for Tulips! Definitely the show-stopper here in April.

April 23, 2013 at 12:33 am
(4) Shannon says:

Tulips!! They put on a show the entire month here. Those and rhododendrons are my April favorites.

April 23, 2013 at 7:17 am
(5) landscaping says:

Thanks, Shannon. My tulips will be in “prime time” next month.

April 23, 2013 at 1:50 pm
(6) jan says:

I voted for bleeding heart, creeping phlox and lenton rose…but also ‘other’, for pulmonaria, brunnera and native columbine which are also stars here right now.

April 23, 2013 at 3:32 pm
(7) landscaping says:

Jan,

Pulmonaria, brunnera and columbine are also part of my landscaping right now, although I don’t grow the native columbine exclusively. Of that triad, the pulmonaria is currently in bloom for me. I love the way the flowers are bicolored (pink and blue).

April 25, 2013 at 10:28 pm
(8) Donna says:

David, Just a note to tell you how informative and interesting I find your newsletter. I consider myself a pretty informed gardener after so many years of gardening, but I always learn something new in your newsletter. Thank you so much for sharing your knowledge.

April 26, 2013 at 7:00 am
(9) Dan says:

Cornelian Cherry is our early spring favorite. It actually belongs to the cornus family

April 26, 2013 at 12:28 pm
(10) landscaping says:

Dan,

I don’t grow one, but I enjoy seeing one that I know of growing on a college campus that I visit. Nice tree.

April 26, 2013 at 12:29 pm
(11) landscaping says:

Donna,

Thank you so much! You’re very kind.