The Bottom Line
Consider electric hedge trimmers when maneuverability isn't paramount. Because they're light-weight, they're easy on the arms. The fact that you know electric hedge trimmers will start up effortlessly is easy on the nerves. Newer models are now available; click the "Compare Prices" button for an update on what's currently on the market.
- Electric hedge trimmers are inexpensive.
- Electric hedge trimmers are lightweight.
- Electric hedge trimmers have automatic start-up.
- Not as maneuverable as cordless models.
- Low vibration minimizes fatigue, as does the light weight of electric hedge trimmers.
- These electric hedge trimmers cut branches up to 3/8" thick.
- Double-edged cutting blades.
- Auto lock freezes the trigger to keep it in running mode, minimizing trigger-finger strain.
- This Black & Decker 16-inch electric hedge trimmer has safety trigger-switch.
- Molded-in cord retainer prevents disconnections to a large degree.
- Electric hedge trimmers will start up with ease, unlike gas models. And no more gas-mixing!
- You can use gas models anywhere; electric hedge trimmers are limited to the extension cord's reach.
- Beware of 1) contact with water, 2) cutting the cord.
Guide Review - Black and Decker 16" Hedge Trimmers TR1600
Like chain saws electric hedge trimmers should have a top handle (with safety shield) to guide them, and a rear handle where the trigger resides. A power cord does not come attached to the electric hedge trimmer. Instead, there is a "male" part housed in the rear handle; you plug the "female" end of an extension cord into this. Usually, I don't like such an arrangement for power equipment: extension cords disconnect too easily from a built-in male part. That's partly why gas-powered and battery-powered equipment are often preferable to corded models. Or, if I'm going to have a corded model, at least I want a mini-cord protruding from the device, so I can knot it up with my extension cord. However, the molded-in cord retainer system of these Black and Decker electric hedge trimmers overcomes this problem to a large degree.
Disclosure: Review samples were provided by the manufacturer. For more information, please see our Ethics Policy.