The Bottom Line
Electric leaf blowers are lightweight alternatives suitable for leaf removal in all but the largest of yards. Streamline the operation by purchasing the trash can collection system accessory available for these leaf blowers. Product linked to through the "Compare Prices" button is a newer model.
- Trash can collection system accessory on these leaf blowers is handy.
- The Leaf Hog is lightweight.
- Easily switches from leaf blower mode to lawn vacuum mode.
- Cordless leaf blowers would be better for large yards.
- 3 tools for the price of 1: Leaf Hogs serve as leaf blowers, leaf vacuums and leaf mulchers.
- Push-button release mechanism easily converts blower function to vacuum function, and vice versa.
- Anti-clog vortex vacuum system is supposed to resist clogging. But not reliable on wet leaves.
- Less noisy than past Black & Decker models, but still noisier than raking leaves!
- 200MPH of blowing power when set on high.
- Lightweight equipment at 8.1 lbs, when compared to gas leaf blowers. A virtue of electric blowers.
- Supposedly a 10:1 ratio (10 bags of raked leaves reduced to 1 bag mulched). Depends on conditions.
- Vacuums up 2 bushels at a time, which isn't much. Bag must be emptied frequently.
Guide Review - Black & Decker "Leaf Hog" Electric Leaf Blowers, Vacuums BV2500
Leaf Hog electric leaf blowers / vacuums / mulchers are lightweight alternatives to the heavier gas-powered leaf blowers for small-to-medium sized yards. For huge yards, go cordless with gas-powered leaf blowers, for superior maneuverability. Black & Decker Leaf Hog blower BV2500 (upgraded to BV4000 in 2006) is a versatile gadget for the money. Homeowners who maintain compost piles or who mulch around plants will appreciate the mulcher function. Although the trash can collection system is listed as an accessory, this time-saver is a must-have, since it eliminates "the middle man" -- i.e., the starting and stopping to empty the bag. An 8-10' hose replaces the bag. It's attached to a cloth trash can cover. Just insert the cover over a trash can and vacuum away, non-stop!
Disclosure: Review samples were provided by the manufacturer. For more information, please see our Ethics Policy.