The Bottom Line
- Ease of storage.
- The price.
- Durability: Steel blades built to last.
- Power: With a 10 horsepower Briggs & Stratton engine...
- This tool has the power for chipping branches up to 3 inches in diameter.
- Ease of storage: This equipment isn't very wide. No problem finding storage space for it.
- Not cheap. But then, when feeding a log in, you'll appreciate the power you're paying for.
- Always follow common-sense safety practices when operating wood chippers....
- Use safety goggles and ear protection; keep young hands away from the equipment.
- Rear wheels are pneumatic, an upgrade over wood chippers with those hard plastic wheels.
- 1-gallon capacity gas tank.
- Twin-feed for versatility.
Guide Review - Troy-Bilt 10 HP Wood Chipper / Shredder
You're committed to recycling those raked leaves, right? But storms have shaken large tree branches loose, and they're mingled in with the leaves. How can you recycle these branches? You need a wood chipper! Of course, wood chippers double as leaf shredders, so that you can also turn those leaves into compost faster. In addition, feeding garden plants into shredders after the harvest, before adding them to the compost pile, hastens decomposition. Wood chippers are versatile; once you have one, you'll be spoiled.
But what features do you look for when purchasing wood chippers? Durability and power head the list. This Troy-Bilt wood chipper / shredder has both these features. It's got tough steel blades to grind up all that coarse debris, and it's powered by a 10 horsepower Briggs & Stratton engine. You can feel confident as you feed branches up to 3 inches in diameter into the hopper or chipper chute. If you're shredding leaves that will need to be hauled somewhere, save yourself an extra step by simply hooking up the 5-bushel collection bag.
Troy-Bilt also makes cheaper wood chippers / leaf shredders with a 6.5 HP engine. My advice is not to waste your money on wood chippers with less than 10 HP. Wood chipping is tough work for a piece of equipment; this is not an area of grounds maintenance where you want to make compromises on power! Troy-Bilt does, however, also make a 5.5 HP chipper / shredder / vacuum useful for fall leaf removal. Check for availability.