The Bottom Line
The ratcheting action of the pruning shears does the work. Little hand strength needed to cut thick branches with ratchet pruners. Ratchet pruning shears can be bought for under $20. Click the "Compare Prices" button to check for availability.
- These pruning shears are ideal for those with hand problems/injuries.
- Let the ratcheting action of the pruning shears save your energy.
- Cuts thick stems that regular cutters can't .
- Replacing dull blades of the pruning shears.
- Pros pay $500+ for Felco pneumatic pruners. Ratchet pruners are the homeowner's cheap alternative.
- Ratcheting action makes the ratchet pruning shears easy to use. No more strain on your hands!
- These cutting tools have non-stick coated blades to facilitate brush-cutting.
- These ratchet pruners cut limbs up to 3/4".
- Replace the ratchet pruning shears' sharp blades when they get dull, to continue getting clean cuts.
- For pruning roses (see "Suggested Reading"), you need bypass-style cutters, not anvil-style.
- Loppers are preferable to ratchet pruners if you're cutting limbs of a girth larger than 3/4".
Guide Review - Ratchet Pruners: The Pruning Shears With Ratcheting Action
Let's first consider how "anvil" pruners work. Anvil pruners have 1 sharp blade and 1 flat, non-cutting blade, or "anvil." When you squeeze the handle, the sharp blade is brought down against the branch you're cutting, and the anvil holds that branch in place so that the cut can be executed. If the sharp blade becomes dull, it will crush the stem instead of cutting it, so you need to replace blades when they get dull. With ratchet anvil pruning shears you can easily cut thick tree branches that regular cutters would stand no chance against. The ratcheting mechanism's settings multiply your hand's power, so that you dont have to do the work the pruning shears do it for you. As you cut through a branch, the ratcheting mechanism clicks and moves to the next setting, providing ever-increasing pressure as you cut. Ratchet-action pruning shears are thus obviously ideal for those with hand problems.