The Bottom Line
- Aesthetic and practical concerns given equal space.
- Outstanding photos of flowering trees and shrubs.
- Not many words to read: the emphasis is on photos.
- Mail-order sources given for flowering trees and shrubs.
- USDA Plant Hardiness Zone map, plus info for U.K., Australia, Canada and Mexico.
- Metric conversion chart provided.
Guide Review - "All About Flowering Trees and Shrubs" -- Ortho Books
Chapter 1 is about color. See how to create 4-season interest, including fall foliage, in the landscape through proper selection of colorful flowering trees and shrubs. The bloom season chart is especially helpful. Besides foliage and flowers, examples of colorful berries are discussed. Handy information is provided on color combinations for flowers. Ch. 2 turns to the more practical side of growing flowering trees and shrubs, with a look at climate, soil and site considerations. See the examples given for planting in wet soil, dry soil and shady areas. Ch. 3 moves on to techniques for planting flowering trees and shrubs, and caring for them. You'll learn about diseases and pests through photos of them -- the easiest way, since mere words on these topics are not very helpful. How to prune flowering trees and shrubs is also covered.
Ch. 4 is a gallery of photos and is, in fact, the heart of this Ortho book. The first three chapters essentially function as a preface to Ch. 4, a beautiful catalogue of flowering trees and shrubs.