The "best" materials to use in driveway installation will depend on your own particular circumstances, but in a separate FAQ on driveway materials I cover the major types of driveways and discuss the pros and cons of each.
One of my personal favorites is the crushed-stone driveway. I find its "natural look" especially appealing. But in addition to appearance, there are a number of factors to weigh in trying to decide on the best driveway material for your landscaping. After you've decided that you find a particular driveway material attractive, here are some of the questions you may wish to ask yourself about it:
- What's its price tag? Is this figure in line with what you're willing to spend?
- Style-wise, is it in keeping with your surroundings?
- Will it stand up to the climate?
- What kind of upkeep, if any, does it require?
- Should you need to fix it, how easy and how affordable would repair be?
- How easy will it be to clear it of snow and ice in the winter (if you live where it gets cold)?