The Bottom Line
- The price is right for these MTD lawn mowers.
- High-wheel MTD Yard Machine lawn mowers facilitate the mowing of uneven areas.
- Their Briggs & Stratton engine has traditionally inspired confidence.
- Few "bells and whistles" on these MTD lawn mowers: this is just your basic grass-cutter.
- 12"-high adjustable rear wheels.
- 5-horsepower Briggs & Stratton engine.
- 11A-508B752 MTD Yard Machine lawn mowers have a side discharge.
- Mulching kit included.
- 22" cutting deck.
Guide Review - MTD Yard Machine Lawn Mowers -- High-Wheel, Briggs & Stratton Engine
This review was originally written for Model 11A-508B752 MTD Yard Machine lawn mowers, which have a 5-horsepower, Briggs & Stratton engine and high wheels. But availability may be limited, so my link (hit the "Compare Price" button) may provide a substitution, such as the Mtd 11A505A790 6.5 HP Pushmower.
Since Briggs & Stratton engines have traditionally built a reputation for reliability, this feature alone is thought by some to be a selling point for Model 11A-508B752 MTD Yard Machine lawn mowers. These MTD Yard Machine lawn mowers are the "push" variety, making them suitable for small to medium-size yards. The Honda-engine model (Model 12A-568Q701) is self-propelled and therefore preferable for large yards.
The most prominent feature of these MTD Yard Machine lawn mowers is their 12"-high rear wheels, and that's what I'm really focusing on in this review (more so than the engine). Many homeowners struggle with hard-to-mow yards for years, unaware of the existence of alternatives to the standard-size mowing wheel. For instance, some yards are marred by bumpy surfaces. Among the most challenging for mowing are those studded with exposed tree roots. But with adjustable high wheels, you can handle the job with ease.
But the high rear wheels will come in most handy if you have a slope to mow, since they make the equipment so much easier to push. Anyone who doubts this should arrange to test a high-wheel MTD Yard Machine lawn mower on a hill. The experience could be a real eye-opener!