Wisteria, despite its loveliness, can be a challenging plant to grow. It may take a while to flower and can be aggressive; and the massive weight of a mature vine challenges supporting structures. Then there's this: if ingested in sufficient quantities (which, for a young child, would be a relatively small amount), the seeds and pods of these...
Clematis vines are very popular in landscaping. The 'Jackman' variety is especially prized, due to its showy blooms (including a rich purple). You may know that clematis likes to have its "feet" kept cool, but did you know that all the parts of these poisonous vines can cause gastrointestinal irritation if eaten?
Bittersweet Nightshade: Common Danger
When someone says they have "bittersweet" in the yard, that can be a reference to any of 3 distinct plants, two of which are harmful -- but in different ways. Oriental bittersweet poses environmental concerns, but the greater danger to a kid's health is bittersweet nightshade, a deadly poisonous vine. Learn the difference, as well as how the...
When we think of fall foliage, we think primarily of trees, and perhaps shrubs. But the fall foliage of Virginia creeper vines holds its own with any trees or shrubs. Ingesting any part of this poisonous vine, however, can cause vomiting, nausea, stomach ache, headache and, in severe cases, even kidney damage.
Lantana plants are technically shrubs, even though we Northerners often see them spilling over the sides of hanging pots. They are native to the tropics and grow like weeds in places like Florida. Don't let their citrusy smell fool you: lantana plants are poisonous. Don't let your pets chew on lantana; it will make them sick.
I'm proud of my winter jasmine. Listed as cold-hardy to zone 6, I've supplied mine with a microclimate that allows it to overwinter in zone 5. Jasmine is a poisonous vine, toxic to dogs and humans alike. That is OK with me, as I have neither dogs nor kids (nor an uncontrollable appetite!). If your situation differs from mine, though, do beware...
Periwinkle flower (Vinca minor) is one of the more widespread ground covers you'll find in the Northeastern U.S. Along with pachysandra, I often see it even out in the woods, where it had been grown on what are now long-abandoned homesteads. Unfortunately, it is a poisonous vine, and ingesting any part of it can cause intestinal irritation.